Learn about this unique and perpetually changing glacier in the Kenai Fjords National Park on this easy hike.
Private, Guided Hiking Tour
- 2 Guests Per person
- 3 Guests Per person
- 4 - 6 Guests Per person
- Parties of more than 6, please call to book.
Hike through coastal rainforest to Tonsina Point
Explore, discover, and learn on this family-friendly, half-day hiking tour. We will follow a meandering trail through temperate rainforest on the western shore of the fjord. As we head south, our surroundings become wilder, and we’ll take a closer look at the plants, animals, and habitats that make up this rich ecosystem.
Along the way, we’ll stop for photos, berry-tastings, and signs of how this landscape was created by glaciers of the past. At Tonsina Creek, an important spawning stream for salmon come late July/early August, an impressive bridge allows passage to Tonsina Point, which holds several more options for exploring.
Depending on the day, we may go tidepooling, explore the beach and mudflats, or delve deeper into the forest ecosystem, where moss drips from the branches of hundred-foot tall spruce trees. When we emerge from the towering trees onto the rocky shore, we’ll be granted spectacular views of Resurrection Bay.
- Explore Alaska’s coastal temperate rainforest
- Reach Tonsina Point for views across Resurrection Bay
- Stop for a snack at a remote beach
- Positive attitude
- Day hiking pack (can be provided if needed)
- Rain jacket & rain pants (can be provided if needed)
- Warm synthetic layers
- Warm wool socks
- Hiking boots or sneakers
- Refillable water bottle
- Professional guide
- AK climate change Info
- Hiking poles (if desired)
- Day hiking pack (if needed)
- Transportation between our shop in downtown Seward and trailhead
- Snacks & hot drinks
This hike can be done on your own, but if you’d like to learn from a knowledgeable guide, let us take care of the logistics, and increase your climate change literacy + knowledge of this area, please join us!